Wednesday 5 December 2007

The continued joys of snow

New experiences abound in a land where ice falls from the sky in fluffy little bits. My days starts with starting my car before scraping any ice off the windscreen and brushing the snow off the windows .

Last night i had to give my screen door handle a bang with my windscreen ice scrapper because the mechanism was frozen. Last week i felt a new record low, -13. It didn't feel so cold, the sun was shining and there was no wind: a beautiful morning. I'm told that it will get alot colder than -13.

Snow buildup on the ground is a bit of a yo yo affair. Last Thursday and Friday we had alot of snow, then on Saturday the temp lifted and it rained melting most of the snow. Then it started snowing again on Sunday and Monday. So at the moment we have about 30cm of snow. But the snow is dry so the wind blows it into piles. Just outside my kitchen window the ground is bare, but 10 metres over behind a tree there is a bank 1 metre high.

Last week i drove through my first 'white out.' The wind was blowing the snow across the road, so much so that at one point for 5 seconds all i could see was white: scary stuff. The key is to keep the steering wheel straight and slowly brake.

You know you are in Canada when you wear a toque to stop your ears from freezing. For the Aussies, that's a beanie.


Earlier on I mentioned the snow blowing roster at church. Well this is Bill Sachs blowing the snow from the church car park. For some reason Sandra chose to walk alongside of the tractor. Youthful exuberance i assume.



Winter blessings to you all,

XO Adrian

1 comment:

Meryl said...

Hi, Adrian. Reminded me of driving in snow on the Isle of Wight many years ago! It's an eerie feeling.
We've just got through graduation and ordination over here and I guess some of your friends will tell you about it all.
We're having an inaugural carols night here at ALC Wednesday.
This is my last week before leave and we are going to the Sunshine Coast for Christmas and New Year. Graeme will be going fishing with his Maroochydore mate a lot, I guess!
Blessings for Christmas and for the beginning of 2008.
Cheers,
Meryl